Blog by Norma
We all want to feel a sense of purpose. We want something that drives us and motivates us to be and do better. As we age, we can often lose that purpose and the drive associated with it. In this week's blog post, I want to share some tips on reigniting or finding our purpose.
According to an article by Harvard Health Letter, having a sense of purpose can have many health benefits, including better mental health, better memory, mood control, and decreased chronic disease. Given its many benefits, we must have a sense of purpose. Yet, as many know, what once seemed so clear can suddenly become elusive. When we have lost our sense of purpose, what can we do?
Tips for finding one's purpose:
1) Play to your strengths: Find your strengths and engage in corresponding activities.
2) What obstacles have you overcome? Analyzing what obstacles you have overcome can help you find avenues towards helping others.
3) Draw a purpose timeline: Your purpose can change depending on your age and chapter in your life. Map out where you are currently and how you have evolved to your current position in life.
4) Role models: Sometimes, we need to find a role model. Look for someone you admire, learn from them, and see if you can implement something from them into your life.
5) Become a mentor: Sometimes, we need to become the role model others seek. Becoming a mentor can help you and someone else find purpose.
6) What does the world need? Find a cause you are passionate about and find ways to help. This can be as small and direct as helping fill your community's needs.
7) Find wisdom in literature: A good book can help you find tips and discover renewed purpose. In particular, Harvard Health Letter recommends Viktor Franki's Man's Search for Meaning.
8) Share your stories: Share your life adventures! Writing down your best memories, most essential life lessons, etc., is an excellent way to provide advice and purpose to family members.
9) Write your own obituary: This may seem like a morbid tip of advice, but how you want to be remembered is a great way to analyze your passions.
10) Picture yourself winning the lottery: What would you do if you won the lottery? Thinking deeply about this question can show you what you want to accomplish and do. Try incorporating these thoughts into your current life.
Godman, H. (2023, November 1). 10 ways to find purpose in life. Harvard Health. https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/10-ways-to-find-purpose-in-life